Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Time Out

I've only gotten about half way through the eulogy.
I'll get back to it.
I keep thinking how wrong the whole thing was.
I should have been lying there, wrapped in a shroud, on a stretcher, and Asher should have been saying the eulogy.
I wonder what he would have said.

My sense of time has been confused by bereavement.
Ordinarily I am very jealous of my time. I have a lot to do every day, and I try to use my time, plan my time, control my time, so that I can end the day with the satisfaction of having accomplished something.
Now I look at time as a kind of desert that has to be crossed somehow. I think of my days as huge, barren expanses that have to be filled somehow, because I don't care very much about what I'm doing.
I've been getting up at five to six every morning, so that I can make it to synagogue on time to lead morning prayers and recite the kaddish in honor of Asher.
Despite the strong Jewish prohibition against music during mourning, I have been practicing saxophone or clarinet every day since the end of the shiva, the seven day period of deep mourning. That's another hour or so that I can fill. I've been doing very technical stuff, long tones, scales, intervals, taking advantage of the patience that grief has given me.
I'm working, editing someone's book, but it's hard to concentrate on work.
I can't plan for the future or even imagine the future. Imagining what I might do tomorrow takes a huge effort.
I don't think about Asher all the time, but the thought of Asher is always just one thought away, and I never know what will trigger it.
On February 7 we will mark the thirtieth day after Asher's burial. Until then I'm not supposed to shave or have my hair cut, I'm supposed to recite the kaddish for him ... after that no mourning restrictions apply to parents who have lost a child, although children who have lost parents are supposed to observe mourning restrictions for a year.
I know that we're supposed to go back to living an ordinary life, but I also know that every joy we have will be hollow, and every sorrow that we have will be that much deeper.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff,
I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear about Asher. He was a wonderful young man-loving, stubborn, funny, mischievous (as well as 50 other far-flung adjectives which come to mind). Throughout my relationship with Boaz and afterwards, I viewed him as a younger brother and the news of his death truly feels for me like losing a member of my extended family.
As painful as his loss is for you and Judy, there is something fitting in how he left the world. He was the embodiment of a free spirit and although he left much too soon, I'm sure he would appreciate the fact that the Andes were his final view of this earth.
I have saved all of my email correspondance from Boaz during our time together. I haven't looked at these messages in a very long time but opened the folder when I sat down to write to you today. I came across a dozen or so emails from Asher with his "Asheriko!" handle and reading them brought him back so vividly. Some of the emails are during the time he was trying to figure out his future and I offered him some older brother advice based on my own limited experiences. Some are emails from him in preparation for my trip to Israel and his bright idea to try and fool Boaz about my landing date so my arrival would be a surprise. This was typical of him-slightly devilish, thoroughly lovable; qualities he shares with my own little brother (must be a pre-requisite for the job).
I've been blessed to have wonderful relationships with both of your sons and you and Judy should feel so proud of the fine, loving men they turned out to be.
Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss.
I will miss him very much.

Doug Fields

Susan (Sara) Avitzour said...

I remember very, very well that "time desert" that you so eloquently describe. There's nothing like it. How to fill the day? Why fill the day, even, although being inactive is excruciating. I remember there was an extremely fine line between not knowing what to do with myself and feeling overwhelmed by the demands of daily life. Not to speak of imagining, let alone planning for, a future.
My heart goes out to you all.
With love,
Sara